Adult Book Review: The Winter King by C.L. Wilson
Title: The Winter King
Author: C.L. Wilson
Website | Twitter | Goodreads
Age Group: ADULT
Genre Type: Fantasy Romance
Publication Date: July 29th 2014
Wynter Atrialan, the Winter King, once lived in peace with his southern, Summerlander neighbors, but when the prince of Summerlea steals Wynter’s bride and murders his young brother, Wynter calls upon a dangerous Wintercraig magic called the Ice Heart and marches against Summerlea.
After three bitter years of battle, a victorious Wynter arrives at Summerlea’s royal palace to issue his terms of surrender. The prince of Summerlea stole Wynter’s bride and slew Wynter’s Heir. He wants the loss replaced. The Ice Heart is consuming him. Wynter hopes holding his own child in his arms will rekindle the warmth in his heart before he becomes the monster of Wintercraig legend, the Ice King.
The Summer King has three very precious daughters whom he loves dearly. Wynter will take one of them to wife. She will have one year to provide him with an Heir. If she fails, he will send her to face the mercy of the mountains and claim another princess for his wife. And so it will continue until Wynter has his Heir or the Summer King is out of daughters.
The plan is perfect—except for one small detail. The Summer King has a fourth daughter. One of which he is not so fond. And she is a fiercely passionate creature, with a temper as volatile as the forces of her weathergift, the power of storms.
The Winter King by C.L. Wilson is the first book in an exciting new romantic fantasy series that combines breathtaking romance with exciting elements of fantasy. Set within a magical world that's richer and more complex than your average romance, yet it still contains all the sensuous romance of one. It bridges the gap many book lovers of romance and fantasy want. A melding of what's best in both worlds. Its highlights of magic, battles, creatures and treacherous villains are entwined beautifully with the magnificent romance between two unforgettable characters. I was completely spellbound by The Winter King, delighted in all its fantasy elements and C.L. Wilson's writing that gave me a truly epic romance!
Six Reasons to pick up The Winter King
1) It combines reader's favorite elements of both Romance and Fantasy. Want fantasy, but tired of the romance being lackluster and the world building too much? With The Winter King, C.L. Wilson has successfully combined favorite elements fans of Romance and Fantasy readers love. Highlights of a fantasy world feel magical, exciting and rich without weighing down the story, while romantic tension and sensuous romance keeps romance fans completely happy.
2) Exciting, magical settings and creatures. The fantastical realms of Summerlea and Wintercraig are revealed. Two realms completely contrasted. Summerlea a country of verdant and lush greenness, warmth and summer's beauty, but ruled by a haunted and cruel King. Wintercraig's realm is home to glittering snow and thick forest. An enchanted realm of ice, snow and old magic ruled by the new Winter King. Peppered with mythical and deadly snow creatures know as Frost Giants and the garm (a deadly, giant wolflike monsters) danger lurks just around the corner. The magic of Ice Heart and a legendary sword of mystical power adds to the rich lore of the Winter King's homeland of Wintercraig.
3) An Unforgettable Hero and Heroine. Epic Romance. If you love your hero and heroines of the headstrong and passionate variety, then Wynter and his bride are a perfect fit. Coming from enemy Kingdoms and brought together by a forced alliance, Prince Wynter finds many surprises in his new bride of Summerlea. As dangerous mechanisms, political intrigue, and the very legend of The Winter King threaten these two, an undeniable passion burns between them. A spark that won't be put out. *Fanning myself* The romantic tension between once enemies, now lovers, sizzles.
Wynter Atrialan, after the cruel betrayal Summerlea's own prince, he takes vengeance upon Summerlea and calls upon powers from the Ice Heart. A fierce warrior, completely loyal to those he cares about, Wynter wages battle against Summerlea and ends up claiming a daughter as his bride. Seeds of doubt and betrayal make him vulnerable and the power of the Ice Heart threatens him as well. Underneath his icy heart, lies a tender and sweet hero. I totally adored and swooned for him.
Bride of Wynter, the Princess of Summerlea is a multifaceted heroine. Vulnerable, yet powerful in her on right, she can (and will) kick-ass. She suffers both physical and mental abuse at the hands of her father, the King of Summerlea. When fate, her father, and war unite her with Wynter, she is determined to make the best of it. So many betrayals and danger befalls our princess before she even reaches Wintercraig, I was slightly worried that this heroine would not be able to withstand all and still be a worthy heroine to love. Never fear. She does, and ends up in more than one battle kicking-ass, and saving the day!
4) Battle Scenes. I love a good battle scene. And, The Winter King has no shortage of them. There's war between realms, battles against creatures, magic, villains, and battles of will and romance. And, I'm not just talking about Wynter in battle. Our heroine takes on more than fair share of enemies and creatures in The Winter King. In fact, she takes a very strong lead in the book, one that happily surprised me. I love my heroines to be resourceful and C.L. Wilson gives us one!
5) Dastardly Villains you love to hate. The kind where you want to slam the book on. A good villain can take a story to a whole new level, and there's more than one brewing their evil and mischief in this story.
6) Exciting secondary characters that ensure more stories form C.L. Wilson! I can count on both hands the number of secondary characters that could (Please, please) be featured in future books. Many of them play prominent roles in this story, and I can't wait to see what C.L. Wilson has in store for them.
C. L. Wilson's The Winter King was a magical, fantastic tale filled with the perfect blend of Romance and Fantasy. Highly recommended!
My Rating: 5 Stars. I LOVED it!
PLEASE NOTE: A courtesy review copy of this book was provided by Avon in exchange for my fair review. Thank you Avon for the review opportunity!