Book Review: Bitter Spirits by Jenn Bennett
Title: Bitter Spirits
Series: Roaring Twenties #1
Author: Jenn Bennett
Website | Twitter | Goodreads
Age Group: ADULT
Genre Type: Paranormal Romance
Publication Date: January 7th 2014
Pages: 328 pages
Publisher: Berkley Sensation
There's a big curse in little Chinatown…and it's not Prohibition.
It’s the roaring twenties, and San Francisco is a hotbed of illegal boozing, raw lust, and black magic. The fog-covered Bay Area can be an intoxicating scene, particularly when you specialize in spirits…
Aida Palmer performs a spirit medium show onstage at Chinatown’s illustrious Gris-Gris speakeasy. However, her ability to summon (and expel) the dead is more than just an act.
Winter Magnusson is a notorious bootlegger who’s more comfortable with guns than ghosts—unfortunately for him, he’s the recent target of a malevolent hex that renders him a magnet for hauntings. After Aida’s supernatural assistance is enlisted to banish the ghosts, her spirit-chilled aura heats up as the charming bootlegger casts a different sort of spell on her.
On the hunt for the curseworker responsible for the hex, Aida and Winter become drunk on passion. And the closer they become, the more they realize they have ghosts of their own to exorcise…
Bitter Spirits by Jenn Bennett is the first book in her new paranormal romance series, the Roaring Twenties. Set in turn of the century San Francisco during Prohibition, I was delighted with it's rich, historical atmosphere. The romance and mystery held me captivated, and I'm now a completely, excited new fan of Jenn Bennett's writing.
Six Reasons to pick up Bitter Spirits
1) It successfully combines Paranormal and Historical Romance with Mystery. With Bitter Spirits, Jenn Bennett has successfully combined elements fans of paranormal romance, mystery, and historicals crave, creating something exciting, unique and fun. Fans of paranormal romance will love the strong, sassy characters and sensuous romance surrounded by a terrific paranormal element. Want historical details and rich atmosphere? It all there. Need a mystery that does a good job of keeping your guessing? Bitter Spirits does that.
2) Need something paranormal, but tired of vampires and werewolves? Well, you're in for a treat. Bitter Spirits features ghosts, sinister magic, and deadly curses, as well as mediums, séances and reanimated corpses, creating thrills and chills. I couldn't get enough of all the scary and fun paranormal aspects included in the story.
3) The unique setting and atmosphere is perfect for those who love historicals. The San Francisco setting and Prohibition atmosphere adds additional danger and tension to the overall story and mystery. Jenn Bennett skillfully weaves in historical details of 1920s San Francisco and its Chinatown after the great fire. You can picture the ritzy clubs and speakeasies, easily becoming transported. From its fog shrouded waterfront warehouses and glamorous and flamboyant mansions to the culturally rich downtown district of Chinatown. It's a melting pot. Tongs (Chinese gangs), concubines, bootleggers and immigrants all add an authentic feel to the story.
4) The mystery was well done and kept me guessing. The premise of Winter being cursed and able to not only 'see' ghosts, but act as a magnet to them, heighten the mystery of whom really was the mastermind behind his hex. Several possible figures kept me suspicious for the most part and guessing untill the end.
5) A Romance between two unique and strong-willed characters brought the romance to a sizzling level. Aida is a medium, able to summon and banish spirits. As an orphan with no real family left, she had to rely on herself for everything. She determined, independent, and sassy to boot. A modern woman who is no weakling. Winter comes from a bootlegging background. A tough business man who can fight and shoot his way put of a bad situation. Having lost his family members to a tragic accident, he is determined to never marry again. Their damage characters and misunderstandings keeps the readers hooked on if they will make it through to a happily ever after. There's no denying that these two are attracted to each other. These two are so passionate about each other that you can't help but, cheer them on.
6) Freckles. I have never really wanted freckles until I read this book. Winter seriously has a *thing* for freckles that is sexy in the most unexpected way. Aida has them all over and it drives him crazy!
The fact that it's a series has me over the top. I can't wait to get my hand on Grim Shadows featuring Winter's archaeologist brother and a mysterious Egyptian artifact. Jenn Bennett has won me over with her writing. A great choice for readers looking for romance that combines the best in paranormal, historical and mystery.
Mt Rating: 5 Stars. I loved it!